- Data Centre Services
- About Us
- Contact Us
Why you should change your UPS batteries
If you have an uninterruptible power supply as part of your critical IT Infrastructure you are already planning for something unexpected.
The role of a UPS system is to eliminate the risk of unpredictable interruptions to your load. So in order to maintain the maximum uptime it is vital that you plan and carry out UPS battery replacements at regular intervals.
We know that the UPS battery won’t last forever, so it’s important to monitor the condition of the batteries as part of a regular maintenance plan. Regular servicing enables the service engineer to perform impedance tests on each battery, which helps to predict when the UPS batteries will need to be replaced and allows for scheduled replacement without any sudden loss of power.
When carried out correctly, the replacement of UPS batteries is a safe and effective procedure. There are, however, significant risks associated with UPS battery replacement of which it is important to be aware:
- The load may cease to be protected by the UPS. Faulty cabling can cause an inverter/rectifier breakdown, therefore switching into the auxiliary (bypass) supply, and leaving the load unprotected by the
- The probability of a fault can be increased through electrolyte leakage associated with the incorrect handling of battery
- Serious injury to personnel can occur where there is spillage of electrolyte in the areas surrounding the UPS and battery installation. Furthermore, not using the correct PPE can also result in serious injury to the on-site
- There is a risk of thermal runaway, fire or explosion if the battery charger calibration is
- Prosecution: not disposing of batteries according to strict guidelines may result in legal proceedings being brought against the offending party by local or central government, which in turn may lead to heavy financial penalties
Source UPS are a Yuasa Batteries Approved Distributor and specialists in the integration of batteries within UPS equipment and battery replacement safety procedures.
Our engineers are experienced and qualified to carry out battery replacements in all makes and models of UPS from 1kVA to 1mVA and above. Works can be carried out during or outside normal working hours with no disruption to the connected load and we will also handle the removal and certified disposal of the old batteries in accordance with the Environment Agency’s WEEE Directive.
If the batteries in your UPS have failed visit our UPS Battery Shop to buy new batteries on line. Or if you would like to find out more about our battery replacement service or our annual UPS maintenance contracts please contact one of our team today.
I contacted Source UPS when our UPS failed and straight away got helpful information. They quickly identified our problem, organised an engineer, who was on time, very pleasant and helpful. The whole experience was professional and well organised. I would highly recommend this company.